Smoothieology: A Simple Formula for Delicious Superfood Smoothies for Every Day of the Year.
Smoothies are the easiest and best ways to maximize your nutrition. You can literally toss a salad in a high powered blender, throw in a handful of fruit and some fats and possibly superhero worthy Super foods and BAM! it will 1) taste delicious (trust me, I will teach you some tricks), 2) provide maximum nutrition 3) provide you with energy to thrive.
On any given day at any given time I can be seen toting a large mason jar filled to the brim with green deliciousness. I am often asked about it, “What in the world is that stuff? Why is it green? What’s in there?…Grass?” My answer to these questions is simple, “This is a mega-nutritious, super-delicious, superfood green smoothie and yes, sometimes I put grass in it.” ;) If the person is lucky enough to hear my enlightening spiel about the benefits of green smoothies one more question remains, ”How in the world am I supposed to find the time to learn about, shop for and make a smoothie that is good for me and taste good as well?” Again, my answer is simple, “All you need to do is learn the formula and then everything else will fall in to place.” Enter, Smoothieology from Good Clean Health. Learn about the simple algorhythm for a green smoothie lifestyle and download the Smoothieology Guide in this post and you will have already won half of the battle.
The 10,000 foot view of clean nutrtition involves eating whole foods, foods with a singular ingredient, unprocessed foods, and foods that were grown with intention and without genetic modification. When you eat this way your body is fueled and ready to take life by the horns. Unfortunately, adhering to a whole food diet can be challenging for a multitude of reasons. That is where becoming a Smoothieologist comes in. Smoothies make eating whole foods easy, fun and delicious for you and your entire family (including your all-important wee ones). I am not exaggerating when I say that drinking green smoothies have changed my life and that of my families. They are a game changer. And I want them to do the same for you.
Smoothie making and juicing are awesome but the spotlight in this post is on the green smoothie so let’s learn the benefits of smoothies over juicing: 1) Contain more fiber and enzymes which are very deficient in the standard American diet 2) Provide more satiety, they fill you up! 3) Blenders are easier to clean than juicers. To clean a blender fill the blender with water and a bit of soap and then run the blender and rinse, and you are done. 4) with high powered blenders you can toss in the whole fruit or veggie without having to peel or chop. So EASY! Go here to read about how to find the right juicer and all the benefits of adding jucing to your nutritional routine.
Why drink green smoothies? The Benefits:
- Increased energy
- improved digestion
- decreased food cravings
- more positive stable mood
- improvement in skin tone (decreased acne and glowing complexion) , increased nail and hair health
- weight loss
- improved sleep quality and often requiring less sleep
- improved immunity
- decreased recovery time after hard workouts
You can tailor your smoothies to your specific goals or needs at the time, such as using ingredients that promote weight loss (i.e coconut oil and chia seeds, yerba mate, greens), detoxification (leafy greens, cilantro, chlorella, chia seeds, flax seeds), or energy boosting (greens, yerba mate, maca powder, chia seeds). Food is powerful. It is so empowering to use it to amplify your health or achieve your wellness goals naturally with whole foods.
You can use any blender to make smoothies however I recommend a high powered blender. If you do not own a high powered blender yet… you can learn how to receive free shipping on my recommended blender here. You will not regret this investment. I use my Vita-mix several times a day for smoothies, soups, dips, nut butters and more! Ok but not everyone has a high-powered blender. So here are tips on how to make your blender still make a deliciously nutritious smoothie.
Here are some workaround tips for those who do not yet have a high-powered blender:
- chop your ingredients finely
- blend for longer periods of time
- accept you may have a less smooth consistency
- peel and remove seeds from the fruits and veggies
- put base and veggie in first and blend well then add other ingredients and blend to achieve the smoothest texture.
If you have a high-speed blender:
- You can be a Smoothieologist with minimal effort. You can throw fruit and veggies in the blender with their skin and for many even their core and seeds!
- You can make smoothies fast. You only need to blend for 30sec to 1 min for a smooth consistency depending on ingredients you choose
- You can reap the benefits of maximal nutrition for minimal effort. The blender breaks open cell walls making the vitamins and minerals from the smoothie ingredients more available and absorbable for our bodies.
My tips to a healthy AND delicious smoothie:
- For beginners and for kids:
- Use more fruit than veggies. Choose a super nutritious and mild tasting veggies like kale (remove stalk) or spinach and use one of the fruits with higher soluable fiber and pectin that will result in a smoothie with a smoother consistency. For example banana, peach, mango, avocado
- Use a sweetener like dates or honey or a very ripe banana. Ripe bananas taste very sweet in a smoothie and you will find you do not need any sweeteners.
- Chill it: Use frozen fruit or ice cubes
- For kids put the green smoothie in a non-see through cup or use a fun straw and for adults put it in a nice glass and garnish with berries. You may not have to do this long. Before you know it they will be requesting a green smoothie! My 5 year old twins choose the ingredients that go in their smoothies, yes including the kale! They also yell from the kitchen “whoever finishes their smoothie first is the strongest!” Hubby will try a morning smoothie and say ” his is GOOD, write this one down.” He says this because I make a different smoothie practically everyday because I love to try new combinations and create versions of green smoothies that taste like pumpkin pie, cinnamon roll or Almond Joy to name a few. Sorry babe :( I am not sure I can harness my creativity and make the same smoothie twice!
- Choose from the fruits that create a smoother texture in your smoothie like the fruits highlighted in the smoothieology guide such as bananas.
- Keep your smoothies as natural as possible, leaving out protein powders with a slew of unidentifiable ingredients.
- Use small amounts of superfoods/supplements in the beginning
- Keep it simple: choose simple combinations of ingredients so the flavors do not compete. A simple banana and spinach smoothie is so good and easy!
- Rotate the types of greens you add to your smoothies every week. You do not want to use the same greens week after week rotate them at least each week to maximize nutrition and avoid oxalic acid build up.
- Greens are the most important ingredient so slowly add more greens as your palate adapts. It will! Work your way up to a 3:1 veg to fruit ratio.
- Use organic fruit and veggies when possible to minimize the amount of chemicals and pesticides and maximize nutritional value.
- Start with one green smoothie a day for a few weeks then up your game and throw in 1-2 more!
- Set up a smoothie making station. Here is your work space where the magic will happen.
Now go out there and revv your blender and blend your way to your best health! I would love to hear about your experiences and questions. Share your favorite smoothie recipe with us! Let me know what other topics are of interest to you and as always share this with friends and family that are interested in living Good Clean Health.
In Good Clean Health,