Lately, I have been asked a lot for advice on how to do a detox. It makes me so excited that this practice is becoming more commonplace. I must admit, I was not always a believer in the benefits of doing a detox. I would entertain the idea for a second then think...Wait, no morning java? 10 days of drinking nothing but warm water with lemon, cayenne pepper and maple syrup? Nope, not for me. I will just have to continue to be toxic. But then I thought I'd research detoxing a bit more. The more I read the more I began to learn about the enormous health benefits associated with cleansing and detoxing. I also learned that detoxing does not have to be radical to be effective (Yay!!!). Then there it was...my AHA moment! Doing a cleanse is not punishment but a deep form of love for yourself.
What we eat is one of those things that we DO have control over. So, you can choose to minimize your consumption of toxins both by what you eat and what you put on your skin. Try it today. Make your lunch with organic foods or try using organic body care products to give your body a much needed break from daily toxins. Unfortunately, there are toxins out there that we are affected by but that we cannot control. The air we breathe all day every day is filled with innumerable toxic elements. Without knowing we are subjected to secondhand smoke, toxic fumes from our children's school bus and even pesticide laid down by our neighborhood landscapers. The point is we can all benefit from doing a detox. After you complete your detox regimen you will instantly notice the difference in how your body feels and functions. This overwhelming feeling of wellbeing is so powerful that before you know it, you and your entire family will be motivated to minimizing the controllable toxins and living Good Clean Health.
I am a mother of 4 year old twins, a wife, a full-time physical therapist, a yoga instructor and a holistic health coach. I do not have much time to spare and need all the energy I can get. I bet many of you feel the same way. For this reason, I do a detox a few times a year. Usually 3-7 days in duration. I know it is time to do one when my mind is not as sharp (aka brain fog), my skin breaks out and my energy levels begin to dip.
When you do a detox you can expect a bit of "cranky" on the first day or so. This is common in that as the body goes through peak levels of detoxification in the first few days. Don't fret. Once the majority of toxins are flushed away you will feel BOUNDLESS energy and an astounding level of self-satisfaction and happiness (not to mention you may lose a few pounds as well). VIBRANCY, STRENGTH and OPTIMISM... I want YOU to experience this. So here are a few suggestions for a successful detox.....
FOODS TO AVOID: sugar, refined flours, alcohol, caffeine, animal protein, gluten, soy, dairy and all processed foods
FOOD TO ENJOY: organic vegetables especially leafy greens, organic fruits, ancient grains, nuts and seeds, herbal teas, lots of pure room temp water with fresh squeezed lemon
EXAMPLE OF A DAY ON A "GENTLE" DETOX:
Start the day with room temp water with lemon
Exercise (walk, run, gym or try something new).
Drink a green smoothie, shot of wheatgrass or fresh juice with a 4:1 ratio of veg to fruit. Read my blog post about the benefits of juicing.
Breakfast: homemade granola
Snack on hummus and veggies or a homemade super foods trail mix
Lunch: vegetable soup
Dinner steamed veggies with quinoa
dessert: baked sweet potato drizzled with 100% pure maple syrup and cinnamon.
THE 15 TIPS to an Successful DETOX
- Get mind-ready. Think of the goal and the reason you are doing it and post it throughout your home or office to remind yourself.
- Be prepared. Plan the menus, stock your fridge and pantry with foods you can enjoy and get rid of foods you want to avoid. If you need help identifying those tricky little toxins I offer a Home-Intensive and in 2 hours we clean out the "bad" and bring in the "good and clean". Your home will be toxin-free and you will have learned a life long skill that will help maximize you and your loved ones health. This program can be done in person or virtually. Schedule your Home-Intensive online here.
- Be accountable. Get support from family and friends. See if someone wants to do it with you. Announce it, tweet or facebook it, so you feel held accountable.
- Eat light and be mindful when you are eating.
- Drink lots of water with fresh lemon.
- Dry brush. It opens your pours to allow the elimination of waste from your bodies largest organ. your skin! Read my Blog post about benefits of Drybrushing.
- Take a relaxing bath with essential oils, epsom salts, and or clay all these draw out toxins. Light balancing toxin-free aromatherapy candles and put on some nice music. Sound like voodoo? It's not my friends. It works, when you are relaxed you eliminate waste more efficiently and you will sleep like a baby :)
- NO TV's or obsessive smart phone usage
- Drink organic herbal teas. There are many out there with detox benefits, these teas are my favorites.
- Exercise, get your sweat on! Again, getting rid of toxins
- Meditate or at least spend 5-10 min being quiet and turning inward. Practice mindful breathing. On the inhale breathe in peace and nourishment. And on the exhale visualize getting rid of waste and what no longer serves you.
- Get a massage
- PLAY, spend time with a child or with an animal. Get lost in the now.
- Emotional detox. At the end of the day think of any feelings or thoughts that were negative or draining. Write them down or journal them. Then let them go! Sayonara
- MOST important. Be grateful and loving to yourself and honor your body for what it has done for you and what it continues to do for you.
Enjoy the GOOD CLEAN YOU!
If you want further guidance on completing a detox or meeting your health goals contact me.
For more on Good Clean Health tips, recipes and inspiration follow me on Facebook & Twitter and sign up for my newsletter good clean tips. And if you are already part of this healthy bunch please share this post by clicking the buttons below and help me to grow the community.
health & happiness,