This is the Lady and Sons' Chicken in Wine Sauce submitted by Carrie S.
Carrie says she and her family love this dish but would love it even more if it were healthier. So, I removed a bit of the butter (sorry Paula Deen) and boosted the nutrition while keeping the flavor and comfort of the dish. I made a few tweaks and WOW! This dish has a lot of flavor, and would be a great dish to share with friends and family. The title clues you in to what you will hear when you make this dish, more please!
My main recommendati0ns are: 1) to use organic, free range chicken. 2) to use a healthier cheese and to use less of it 3) to replace the preservative riddled canned soup and instead make you own (recipe below) 4) instead of the "stuffing mix" make your own with sprouted grain bread or gluten-free bread of your choice. 5) I also chose to serve the chicken on a bed of super nutritious greens. And there you have it, oh and I would go for a glass of wine with this too! A chardonnay would pair well.
More Please, Chicken in Wine Sauce
Ingredients for the chicken:
- large skinless boneless organic, free range chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil, melted,
plus more for casserole Kosher salthimalayan pink sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 6 ounces (about 8 slices) Swiss cheese40z of crumbled feta or goat cheese 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken souphomemade cream soup aka non-canned soup (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup white wine
1 cup herb-flavored stuffing mix, crushedhomemade bread crumbs (recipe below)
Ingredients for Homemade Cream Soup:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour (I used gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup any broth (I used organic chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup milk
- mushrooms, chopped and sauteed, or leek or whatever other flavor you are after.
- salt and pepper to taste
To make the soup:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over Med-Low heat.
- Stir in flour a little at a time until smooth, then remove from heat.
- Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth. Then, stir in mushrooms.
- Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil; stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the bread crumbs/stuffing:
- 2-3 slices of sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel or a gluten free bread-toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Quickly pulse all of the above ingredients in food processor. You want it to be coarse.
Ingredients for the bed of greens:
- 1 large bunch of fresh spinach chopped
- 1 large bunch of kale de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
To make bed of greens:
Drizzle olive oil into pan, then add garlic followed by greens. Saute 2-3 min until veggies are soft then add any additional oil you may need and salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the chicken on the casserole dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
In a medium bowl, add the soup and the wine, season with salt and pepper and pour over the cheese. Sprinkle stuffing mix on top and drizzle with melted butter.* Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve a portion of chicken on top of the sauteed greens.
Cook's Note: If desired use more butter. I did not think that was necessary but add a drizzle of olive oil if you think it needs it.
If you think Carrie's More Please, Chicken in Wine sauce recipe should win then "Like" this post! Share it with others who might like the recipe and ask them to vote. Please tell me your comments or suggestions I would love to hear from you. Thank you for your participation in the Good Clean Health Home Cooked Comforts recipe contest.