Kids Favorite Mac and Cheese
original recipe submitted By Gary M.
What kid does not LOVE mac and cheese. Wait ....what adult does not love mac and cheese for that matter? Every kids menu has it, and I bet most pantry's are stocked with it. But what lurks in that boxed mac and cheese is not comforting-at all! Gary M. submitted the original recipe which he recalls memorizing from a magazine at a doctors office many years ago. I must admit I love the simplicity of his recipe. It has 6 ingredients! Have you ever looked at the number of ingredients in the boxed mac and cheese? My guess is there are more than 12 ingredients none of which are real good clean food. So my point is, if you make Gary's version of the dish you are already making a recipe that is leaps and bounds healthier than the kind you make from a box. Not to mention SO much more delicious.
So, I made a few changes I chose a gluten free rice pasta, I used raw cheddar cheese and decreased the total amount of cheese and added butternut squash puree. I omitted the ham but see recipe for suggestions on this, I also added gluten free bread crumbs with flax and sesame seeds on top for a bit of crunch and dose of healthy Omega's.
1 lb farfalle/bow tie pastaor Gluten free pasta of your choice
- 1 med. onion
- 1 cup of cooked butternut squash puree, I bet pumpkin puree would also be good
- 1 pound frozen peas or chopped steamed broccoli
- 1-2 pounds of Black Forest Ham or omit and add liquid smoke if you want the smokey flavor of ham but want to make a meatless dish
1 lb cheddar cheese80z (1/2 pound) of raw organic cheddar cheese 1/21/4 pint organic whipping cream
- Pink Himalayan sea salt and Pepper to taste
- Gluten free bread crumbs store bought or homemade
- Flax seeds and or sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook Pasta be mindful not to over cook
- Dice and saute onions until soft and add in the butternut squash puree, frozen or fresh peas or broccoli if you are using it.
- Grate cheese....reserving 1/4 cup
- Dice ham if you are using it
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Holding back the whipping cream and 1/4 cup of cheese and the flax and sesame seeds, combine all ingredients and mix, then add to baking dish.
- Whip cream a little then pour over entire casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until warm/hot throughout.
- Remove cover, sprinkle the remaining cheese, breadcrumbs, the flax and sesame seeds and cook until hot throughout.
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste