Green Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
1 cup green lentils
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 cups spring water or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary
squeeze of lemon or 1 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar
1. Spread lentils on a flat surface and pick out any stones, then wash and drain them.
2. In a soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
3. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add carrot and celery and continue to sauté 3-5 minutes.
5. Spread lentils on top.
6. Add water and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until
lentils are tender.
7. Add chopped parsley, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice or umeboshi vinegar.
8. Simmer another 2 minutes and serve.
Add a small piece of kombu, rinsed.
Recipe courtesy of Integrative Nutrition 2010